What You Need to Know About Building Permits in Calgary

What You Need to Know About Building Permits in Calgary

For a homeowner, it can be confusing trying to understand when to apply for a permit and when it is not necessary. Sometimes it may seem easier to ask a home builder Calgary company to do all that but for your own good, it is best to be knowledgeable about the requirements in Calgary. Here is some vital information to help you.

Instances When You Need Building Permits

If you are erecting any structure or building that is over 1.2 meters high, then you will need a building permit. This requirement also includes the construction of swimming pools – even if it is more of digging than erecting, it also includes hot tubs and retaining walls that may exceed the stipulated height.

So if you are making modifications to your house that will involve structures that are over 1.2 meters, you will need a building permit. You can find a detailed application procedure and the needed forms here http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Permits/Building-permits/Building-Permit-application-requirements-forms-brochures.aspx



There are some cases in Calgary that may not need permits. These include: Well obviously a retainer wall below 1.2 meters would not need a permit, setting up sidewalks for your home, putting up a fence, painting the house or carrying out general maintenance or decoration of the home, when you carry out repairs of a minor nature using the same materials as those for maintenance as long as they do not involve electrical or mechanical work. Also setting up accessory buildings like a dog house, a shade or children’s playhouse that do not exceed 10 square meters and are not a hazard of any sought. If you have a good real estate developer they can advise you on other exemptions.


Electrical and Plumbing Permits

For any electrical or plumbing maintenance or installation, a separate permit is needed. This is usually obtained by the contractor you hire. If you choose to do it on your own, it is still best to have a contractor advise you on the procedure of securing the necessary permit if you have never done it before.

For a homeowner doing their own electrical or plumbing installation of repair, a homeowner’s permit is needed. To qualify for this, however, it is a requirement that the home is for one family, you need to be the owner of the home and the one dwelling in there and the installation work must be carried out by you.



When it comes to gas and heating, this should only be done by a trained contractor who will also get the necessary permit.

It goes without saying that the permits attract a fee so you will need to be ready to pay for the different permits as advised by your home builder.